KCL India Society- A True Representation of 'Unity In Diversity'
India Society events have never let me feel homesick since the beginning of my Year 1, although moving to London was a big change in my life. In turn, I want to help incoming and current students have a ‘home away from home’ like I did.
Events like Diwali Boat Party, Desi Club Nights were the best events I attended this year however I’d also like to introduce more celebrations and increase awareness about the many underrepresented cultures of India including Marathi, Malayali, Kashmiri, Tamil, to name a few, through festivals, dance and music.
India Soc events have attracted not only Indians but all South Asians or “Desi Crowd” as we like to call it, and I’d like to make the events even more inclusive, resonating with the true spirit of India- ‘unity in diversity’.
Games, music and dance are essential parts of Indian culture and hence the events that I would introduce are:
- Fun, cultural games like Antakshari and Dumb Charades
- Cooking Competition with traditional dishes of different communities / states
- Open Mic for the love of Bollywood Songs
- Collab with Hindu Soc for Jhalak (Diwali Show) to showcase more cultural dances and music of India
- Bollywood Classics Movie Marathon
- Collabs with Bollywood Society and Swarang for fun events/workshops
- Cultural Awareness Sessions (tales from different states of the country)
India is an amalgamation of various communities, languages and religions and hence I envision India Society to infuse the diverse cultural aspects of India. As Events Officer, I’d work towards turning this into reality!