As VP of the KCL Ophthalmology Society, I will work closely with the President and the rest of the committee members to ensure that medical students at all levels of GKT are exposed to this speciality which is underrepresented in the KCL MBBS curriculum.
My aims for the society are to continue on existing projects and potentially implement the following new ideas, and these include:
1) Collaborate nationally and potentially internationally for our annual Ophthalmology conference and ensure that the KCL Ophthalmology Society has taken the initiative to be the host of the event.
2) Expand our Ophthalmology mentorship scheme.
3) High-yield lectures on the Ophthalmology content taught at KCL in preparation for Year 3 PT6 and Year 4 PT3.
4) OSCE mentor-mentee scheme - Recruit Year 4/intercalating/5 medical students and provide a bespoke mentorship scheme for Year 2/3 medical students for their upcoming OSCEs.
5) Increase awareness of the Duke-Elder examination work and deliver on our lecture programme from the end of October.
6) Re-establish our relationship with Moorfields Eye Hospital to provide a Microsurgical Skills workshop.
7) Establish a journal club to pioneer research and posters for members of the society.