Hi! I’m Gayatri (she/her), a first-year Politics student.
I’m applying for the Social Secretary role. The requirements include: “keeping the social media accounts lively and fun, able to write short bookish posts, and respond to messages in a timely manner.”
I think I’m great for the role for a few reasons.
- First, I’m an avid reader—a pre-requisite.
- I’m also pretty social-media savvy. I have a burner booktwt (aka I’m the real deal) and used Facebook obsessively as a 6th grader. And when I’m not reading, you’ll find me on Instagram. Clearly, I’m as qualified as can be to run our twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts.
- Time management is my jam. Nothing makes me happier than a well-ordered list.
- I’m fun and generally very approachable. I’ll be on top of those DMs like it’s nobody else’s business and I’ll have humor to boot.
- I’m a concise and effective writer as evidenced by my experience (down below).
- With a sneaky meme folder, you guys best believe I’ll keep the social media accounts lively.
- Also, I’m a Waterloo campus girl. Maybe pity will make you vote for me?
What I want to bring to the role:
- More engagement with the social media accounts apart from just the WhatsApp group.
- I’d love to see more book hauls, monthly recommendations, and “read-along-with-me’s” on our IG account.
- Reading takeovers!
- Short and brief book reviews for our monthly reads on the socials for people who couldn’t attend.
- International Relations editor and contributor for the Politics Society’s journal, The Dialogue.
- EIC for my school’s online newspaper, The Beacon.
- Freelance journalist with articles in the Times of India.
- Once again, I have a booktwt account. If I can survive those trenches, I can survive anything. Except maybe booktok.
- I read. My favorite genres include YA thrillers and fantasy, historical fiction, literary fiction, and magical realism. I’m not averse to an occasional PJO reread either.
I love interacting with people, as well as reading, and I can think of no better way to do both than to be the club’s Social Secretary!