The Buddy Scheme
Starting university can be an exciting experience but it also brings with it new challenges. Many students, especially those from backgrounds typically less likely to attend university (also known as Widening Participation students) take a bit of time to find their feet.
Being a Buddy Mentor
As a Buddy Mentor you will be paired with a first year Widening Participation student to offer them guidance and support. You will provide this support by regularly meeting your Mentee in a virtual or socially distanced format (depending on future distancing guidelines) and by attending social events together within the scheme. Register your interest in the role via the advert on the KCLSU Volunteer Record today!
Eligibility for Buddy Mentors
To be eligible to be a Mentor you must be a second, third or fourth year undergraduate student at King’s College London and attend the virtual training provided.
As a Buddy Mentor you will get access to...
- In depth Scheme Expectations training covering volunteering on a Widening Participation scheme, effective mentoring and safeguarding.
- Accredited and nationally recognised Student Minds Look After Your Mate training on mental health and wellbeing.
- The opportunity to have your say in designing and delivering events for all on the scheme individually and/or in partnership with student societies.
- Recognition of your volunteering hours on the volunteering platform contributing to a volunteering certificate.
- LinkedIn endorsements for skills such as active listening, mentoring and event management if you are a part of the social committee, on request.
- A celebration event at the end of the scheme.
- 1-1 support throughout your time as Buddy Mentor with the Widening Participation Coordinator.
- Opportunities to promote the scheme on social media and on the KCLSU and King’s College London’s websites.
How to apply to be a Buddy Mentor
- Register interest in the role via the advert on the KCLSU Volunteer Record.
- Once you have registered interest you should automatically receive an email which includes a link to the online application. To apply fill this in. If you do not receive this email please get in touch with us on email@example.com
Being a Buddy Mentee
The Buddy Scheme exists to help Widening Participation students settle in. As a Buddy Mentee on the scheme you will be paired with a King’s student in an older year with whom you share common interests, experiences and course where possible. This student (your Buddy Mentor) will be there to give you advice, answer any questions you have and signpost you to services when needed. There will also be plenty of varied virtual social events for Mentees and Mentors to get stuck into and opportunities to meet others on the scheme.
Eligibility for Buddy Mentees
To be eligible to be a Mentee on the scheme you must be a first year student and be care experienced, estranged from your family, a Sanctuary Scholar and/or have previously attended one of KCL’s Widening Participation programmes. If you meet this criteria you will receive an email by the 31st of August 2021 with the subject line Buddy Scheme with the sign up link.